A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 19, 2017

I'm ALIVE!!!


I'm ALIVE!!!! I've finally feeling better after 48 hours of feeling like death. I said to Paul, "I feel like I'm 90 years old. If this is what it feels like to be 90, no thank you!"

I'm a real big baby when I'm sick. I freaking HATE when I don't feel 100% because the lifestyle I lead REQUIRES me to be 100%. I am already feeling guilty about how my Friday classes are behind, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

I woke up Thursday morning feeling fine. I went for a run and it was beautiful. When it was time to eat breakfast, that's when I noticed something was wrong. I wasn't hungry at all and the thought of food made my stomach churn. Instead of my usual bran flakes, I had some oatmeal with strawberries. I had to force myself to eat them.

As the morning went on, I started to feel tired and experienced waves of nausea. I made myself eat chicken and carrots at lunch (around 11:30am), and then everything went to hell.

Teaching in the afternoon was one of the most difficult things ever. I had to stop talking and just breath several times so I wouldn't throw up. I ended up warning my students that I wasn't feeling well so if I seemed angry or annoyed, it wasn't directed toward them, it was just because my belly hurt. I even scrapped my lesson plan for my fourth graders at the end of the day. We were supposed to folk dance but I could NOT dance. I had them do dance along videos from Youtube instead.

Before I left work that day, I contemplated whether to get out sub plans or not. I WANTED to feel better for Friday but what if I didn't? I may as well set them out just in case. I was glad I did, because things got worse that evening.

I had to teach three piano lessons, and it took every ounce of will I had to make it through those lessons. I've taught piano lessons for 14 years and I have NEVER felt that ill during lessons. You're probably wondering why I didn't cancel. I hate canceling last minute and also these students are missing their lesson next week due to Thanksgiving so I didn't want it to be three weeks in between lessons.

When lessons were over at 6pm, I climbed into bed. My stomach was cramping and I had chills and aches. Luckily, I only woke up a couple times during the night and slept until 9am the next morning. 

When I woke up, my stomach felt better than the night before. Around lunch time I ate a junior cheeseburger and fries from Wendy's- SLOWLY. The only thing I had energy to do all day was lay on the couch. I ended up watching six episodes of The View, Morning Joe, and two episodes of 13 Reasons Why. It was basically a couch day. My big accomplishment before going to bed at 7pm was that I ate a slice of pizza. (You may wonder why I was eating Wendy's and pizza... when I am sick in the stomach, those are normally the first things I feel like I could eat. Crazy, but true! I couldn't drink seltzer water but I could eat a junior cheeseburger... weird.)

I slept until 5am the next morning and I woke up feeling HUNGRY!!! I ate another slice of pizza and then actually drank some seltzer water AND coffee!!!!! I could tell that I was probably going to be at least 75% better today, if not 90% I was so relieved. I told Paul before going to bed Friday night that I didn't want to wake up until I felt better. I think I got my wish.

Saturday was a much better day. I got dizzy while raking leaves in the morning but that was probably due to the lack of calories I had consumed over the past couple days. I was able to eat some soup and a roll and that made the dizziness go away. I didn't workout because I didn't feel like it and there was no point as I felt it would slow my progress to feeling 100%.

WebMD said according to my symptoms, it was likely I either had lead poisoning or a stomach virus. My guess is I had a stomach virus and that it was over in about 72 hours. Thank goodness. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! Okay, maybe I would wish it on my WORST enemy, by not my normal, everyday enemies. :)

Thanks for listening to me complain about being sick! You guys are the best!
Are you tough when you're sick or a baby?

Did you have the stomach virus yet this year?

What do you crave when you finally get your appetite back?

18 comments:

  1. O yikes! Glad this hit you at the end of the week instead of at the beginning! Since we discussed this last time I now always have a sub folder on my desk for emergencies. They are VERY basic plans but at least it's something. Sometimes I feel like it is more effort to prepare for a sub than it is to just go to work when I'm sick...haha. But if I felt like you are describing, I'd want to stay home too! I'm glad you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I'm lucky I only had to take one sick day and not 3! Glad you got your emergency sub folder on your desk. It is peace of mind.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're feeling better. It sounds like what you had was rough but thankfully short lived! Give yourself grace over the next few days, let yourself fully recover so you can be 100%. Plus, at least with the holidays you get some time off school/work so that should help too. I feel like I always get sick or hurt around the holidays though because the stress doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful the holidays are coming up. We have a day with students Monday, in-service Tuesday, and then OFF!

      Delete
  3. Oh man! Glad you are feeling better now. The symptoms you described are so close to how I felt the first 24 hours after surgery. I had such a bad reaction to the anesthesia this time. Well this weekend stunk but hopefully this coming weekend will be awesome! And also hopefully this coming weekend people will stop complaining that it's too early to have christmas decorations up! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew I am sorry you felt like that right after your surgery. :( Anesthesia makes me puke that is for sure.

      People can quit their crying about Christmas decorations!

      Delete
    2. Nope, I'm still complaining about Christmas decorations! ;) Tomorrow we're going to a huge Christmas store & town, so I gotta get in the mood soon.

      Delete
    3. Uh oh, no debby downer tomorrow, Lisa!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, kudos to you to getting through work, AND those lessons! Alan has been sick this weekend too, what a bummer. His has just been regular cold stuff and not the stomach issues. Glad you're feeling a bit better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Alan feels better soon. It is no fun to be under the weather. I ran today but I was slooooow. However, I am 1000X better than I was!

      Delete
  5. Ugh...being sick really sucks. I am glad you are feeling better. And I am the BIGGEST baby when I am sick. Laying around is not easy for me to do...at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It depresses me, actually. Especially when I am a little bit better but not totally and I feel like I want to push myself but know I shouldn't.

      Delete
  6. I had stomach bug the second weekend in October, and I was so upset because I was volunteering for RnR Denver the next day. Thankfully I had some saltines to help keep food down. I don't think I'm a baby, but I get mad because I'm not used to being sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you still got to volunteer at the race. I should be thankful we didn't have plans this weekend so it's not like I missed anything.

      Delete
  7. Oh my god!! your stomach bug sounds awful!

    Last I had a stomach bug was a long time ago, and I'm hoping I'm not jinxing myself right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I hate being sick, although I usually try to act tough because my husband is an even bigger baby when he's sick... LOL I am glad you're on the mend. I hate not being 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby and I are the opposite... he never complains about being sick but I do!

      Delete